Crispy chicken with creamy mushrooms and braised leeks
Make this rich and creamy chicken and mushroom dish ahead of time and freeze: just what you need if you’re expecting persons to come over at home.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 200 g JOSEFA Mushroom Sauce
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 400 ml chicken stock, made using ½ a stock cube
- 100 ml fresh cream or fresh milk
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped parsley, to serve
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the onions. Cook for 15-20 mins until softened and lightly golden. Transfer to a roasting tin and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and turn the heat up to high. Cook for 8-10 mins until soft, then add to the roasting tin.
- Season the chicken thighs, add to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-high. Cook skin side down for 10 mins or until the skin is golden and crisp. Turn and cook for a further 5 mins. Transfer to the roasting tin and wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper.
- Pour the chicken stock into the roasting tin and roast for 25 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the leeks, cut side down, and cook for 4 mins or until lightly golden. Using tongs, turn the leeks so the cut sides face up, then pour in 150ml hot water. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins until tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Put JOSEFA Mushroom Sauce, then stir in the crème fraîche (fresh cream) or fresh milk until it becomes a creamy sauce. Season to taste. Simmer for 2-3 mins until thickened.
- Divide the chicken and sauce between plates and serve the leeks alongside. Garnish with the parsley and a twist of black pepper.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines: To freeze, prepare until the end of step 6, omitting step 5. Cover the chicken in foil, leave to cool, then put in a freezer proof container on top of the cooled sauce. To reheat, remove from the freezer the day before you want to eat and defrost in the fridge. Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Put in a roasting tin, cover with foil, and pierce it a few times. Heat for 25 mins while you cook the leeks, then remove the foil and roast for a further 10-15 mins until the chicken is piping hot and the skin is crisp. Once reheated from frozen, eat on the same day – do not reheat a second time.