Ricotta Pie with Pesto
The ricotta pie is a favourite with many Maltese. I like to add fresh cheeslets with the ricotta and with this extra secret ingredient this will be a small piece of heaven on your tongue.
- Oven dish or ovenproof flan dish
- 500 g puff pastry/short crust pastry
- 3 eggs beaten
- 500 g ricotta plus 6 fresh goats’ cheeses (gbejniet friski – if you cantget hold ofgbeniet use 1kg ricotta)
- 3 tablespoons JOSEFA Pesto
- 6 tablespoons cheddar or dried goats’ cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh cream
- Salt and pepper
- A handful or two of peeled broad beans orfinely chopped parsley ( both optional)
- Roll out the pastry and line an oven dish or an ovenproof flan dish with it. Mix the ricotta (and goats’ cheese) , the beaten eggs, salt and pepper, JOSEFA Pesto and the grated cheese in a mixing bowl. To soften the mixture, you can add the fresh cream. Put the mixture on the pastry in the oven dish, and add some parsley and broad beans if preferred.
- Cover the pie with a lid or a ‘trellis’ (pastry strips). Bake the pie at 200° (400°F), or gas mark 6 for about 45 minutes until it’s golden brown and ‘puffed up’. Best to serve with a fresh salad, warm or cold.