Pasta with Mushrooms and Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Sauce
Serve a light pasta dish with a luscious cream sauce. Chopped sage, JOSEFA Mushroom sauce, Gorgonzola cheese, and pumpkin add robust flavour to the meatless main dish.
- 1 pound uncooked pennette (small penne)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups thinly sliced mushroom (about 3/4 pound whole mushrooms)
- 1 tub JOSEFA Mushroom Sauce
- 4 cups vertically sliced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 (12-ounce) milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ tablespoons cold water
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- Fresh sage sprigs (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover; cook for another 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine chopped sage, JOSEFA Mushroom Sauce and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Combine cornstarch and water, stirring with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture and cheese to milk mixture, stirring with a whisk. Cook for 2 minutes or until thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in pumpkin, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add pasta and pumpkin mixture to mushroom mixture; toss well to combine. Garnish with fresh sage sprigs, if desired.
- Any short pasta will work in this dish, but we did have a favourite brand of cheese–Saladena Gorgonzola. It gave the sauce a consistency more luscious than others we tried.